Software License Management for Multiple Publishers – 2 strategies
When you have licensed software from multiple publishers, you must decide how you want to configure your software license management installation. You have two choices for configuring rlm and the ISV servers when running them on a single license server system.
The first choice is to keep them entirely separate, using separate installation directories and port numbers, for example:
- conceptually simple
- The two rlm client connection ports and web server ports will have to be managed so that they don’t collide.
- Users of the rlm web interface will have to remember which port number goes with which.
- The default rlm client port numbers as established by the publishers (in the license files or environments on all the client machines) will need to be changed, for at least 1 publisher.
The second choice is to run a single instance rlm, which manages two (or more) ISV servers. This is the method recommended by Reprise Software. For example:
- Only a single RLM port need be managed. If a new ISV server is added with a new port, the single copy of rlm adds this port to the list of ports it listens to.
- A single web interface is used for all publishers/ISV servers.
- No client-side changes need to be made for any publisher.
- Simple, straightforward method to add a new publisher/ISV server, when the time comes.
- You must be sure to always select the newest version of rlm (rlm.exe) and the utilities that any of your publishers use.
The simple way to accomplish this is to copy one publisher’s server-side files to the other
publisher’s server directory. Or create a central repository of rlm server side files. The files necessary are:
- rlm[.exe]. Use the latest version from all the publishers involved, or better yet, get
the latest from https://www.reprisesoftware.com/enduser_kits/end-useragreement.php
- <ISV>[.exe] or <ISV>.set from all vendors
- *.lic from all vendors
- Command line utilities such as rlmstat[.exe], rlmdown[.exe], etc. As with rlm[.exe] use the latest from the vendors involved, or download from: https://www.reprisesoftware.com/license_admin_kits/license-admin-agreement.php